Friday, December 31, 2010

Pain Meds 2

As I was describing the conversation and situation to a friend of mine, however, she made a very good point. Obviously, Dad is in some discomfort, whether its acute pain or not, and what would be wrong with obtaining more pain meds for him. As we talked, it seemed like more and more of a good idea. I'm definitely not one for drugging Dad up, but why not make him as comfortable as possible until the surgery?
We have such a bias against pain meds in this country. I have run up against it myself with my arthritis, and its made me wary. I don't like asking for pain meds, even in highly legitimate situations because of the stigma and because it makes me feel like a drug seeker. In the years that i've been in chronic pain, I've had to really fight both to get over my own pathology against asking for them(therefore asking for help) and I've had to fight against the prejudice and fear surrounding them.
I love being involved in hospice exactly because they support and promote comfort and the ceasing of pain through narcotics. If a person is dying, what possible harm could a few weeks of narcotics do to them. In this way, and through involving myself in hospice, I hope to make pain meds more acceptable, both for the dying and for those like me living in chronic pain.
I decided to do a brave thing. I called Dad's doctor, explained about the discomfort, and suggested that she prescribe a further course of pain meds for Dad, just until the surgery could be scheduled, and she actually thought it was a good idea. I was happy to be able to help my Dad out; it gave me an opportunity to fight for him, but also to fight for myself against society's prejudices and my own fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment