Thursday, October 15, 2009

Every little thing-cont.

My mind jumped to the question of whether Dad was enjoying the food at his home, and I remembered different foods he had really liked.
But then I started to wonder whether he even noticed anymore what he ate, or whether he craved certain foods he’d never get again because he couldn’t ask for them. I wondered if he missed certain flavors or textures. And I jumped again to how very much I love food, and the great pleasure and comfort I take in certain foods- indeed in all small similar pleasures. It hit me that to have AD would remove that pleasure and comfort. I am able to live, to make it through small hardships and problems partly due to my love of the small things, the little pleasures of life. And to the continuing prospect of ice cream at the end of a hard day. How horrible to lose that to Alzheimer’s as well. That, I realized, brought home to me the true horror of the disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment