Monday, July 26, 2010

Personal Post

I've been poking around on the websites of some of the big Alzheimer's groups and found some great information on www.alz.org that I listed on the blog. One of their partnerships appears to be with ElderHealth, an organization in Washington that provides many services. I hope they or something similar exist in other states. It caught my eye, however, because for years Dad went to the day program provided by Elderhealth, a kind of dementia-daycare for adults. I thought it was an amazing program; they provided days worth of activities, lunch, health services, and support groups, which my father, the original psychiatry-shy male, appeared to really enjoy and find helpful. Eventually, it no longer worked for him, but if you have such a program in your area, and your loved one is reasonably mobile and social, I can't recommend it enough as a way to keep them connected and thinking, even if its just a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment