Friday, November 27, 2009

Personal Post

Well, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! I had a great day with some really good friends that I'm so grateful for. As I was stirring the gravy, though, I couldn't help but think about the last time I actually had a holiday dinner with my family. I've been either cooking my own meal, or arranging to be with friends for what feels like forever. The last Thanksgiving with the whole family was right before my Mom died. I don't remember much about it, when you're young you don't think about the future. I'm sure it seemed just like every other Thanksgiving we'd celebrated. My last Thanksgiving with Dad turned out to be a nightmare; the two of us at a restaurant with me an uncomfortable witness to the growing symptoms of his disease. I doubt he realized it was Thanksgiving as he ate his turkey yesterday with the rest of the residents, so I'll be grateful on his behalf! I'm grateful for the facility and all the hardworking caregivers, I'm grateful for his friend Del and his great doctor who looks after him.

No comments:

Post a Comment