Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Personal Post

Over the last few months, I have been both preparing my house for possible flooding, and cleaning it out after the departure of my ex-partner. I've packed up my non-essential, yet much-loved artifacts, mementos, and photo albums and stored them in Seattle. I also thought it would be a good opportunity to go through closets and storage areas and get rid of some stuff. As I did so, I reflected on how cleaning out my Dad's house left me so well equipped to clean out my own! I got very good at deciding what to keep and what to toss, and quite expert at packing the things I did keep in small boxes. I think I inherited that skill from my Dad who had the talents of a Tetris master when it came to packing a car or suitcase. After seeing what Dad's house became, and then having to clear it, I've also become quicker about clearing out clutter and non-essentials. When I had thrown out, packed, stored, or rearranged everything to my satisfaction, I called my friends at GotJunk, another resource discovered during the Great House Clear Out. They came and in one hour spirited away the huge pile of junk I had made in the back yard, including the deflated and damp rubber swimming pool. My house is now clean, organized, and (hopefully) water-tight. Who would have thought that such an annoying and exhausting task as completely dismantling a house would pay off so well in the future? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment