Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Studying AD

While a lot of time and money had been devoted to research of the disease and its cure, very little study had been made of what Alzheimer’s sufferers were actually experiencing. As I did more research and read more books, I found things had begun to change. Fortunately, there were a few new thinkers out there: some thought Alzheimer’s patients inhabited a Zen-like state; others emphasized that patient’s social veneers were being stripped away leaving the freedom to behave and believe as they chose. Considering how different my father’s current behavior had become that last theory seemed the most believable to me. It was important to me to find a facility that would support Dad through this experience with awareness and intelligence, not just with cookie cutter rules and practices.

No comments:

Post a Comment