Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Change

Moment by moment, through the choices we make, the events that occur, and the inevitable progression of time, our lives go on, along a changing path. I learned that those events, those hardships that seem never-ending and all-encompassing, do eventually end. Things resolve, houses are emptied, parents age and die, nothing lasts forever. I learned that relationships are not static things set in stone but living, fluid entities that can be expanded and changed if the conditions are right and the participants are willing. All it takes is a little patience, a lot of forbearance, and sometimes a terminal disease!
I learned that it was okay to be angry and resentful, even at your own sick parent. I learned to put myself first. I learned it was okay to yearn for your old life back. I learned it was absolutely necessary to lean on others. But most importantly, I learned it was okay to give up, just as long as you return in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment