Monday, February 7, 2011

Burden 2

I actually know exactly what it's like to depend on someone else because you're too sick or unable for other reasons to do things for yourself. It's not fun, I totally agree. I've been really sick for a few months at a time and during that time, friends had to drive me around, cook for me, and do other stuff. It was incredibly hard for me to accept that help, but I did. A trusted friend told me, when I was complaining about having to accept this help, that people actually WANT to help, that I can't always be the one to be the helper, and accepting help can be a great gift you give to those who love you.

So believe me when I say, I"m not elderly, but I know what I'm talking about. Adult children have more and more on their plates than ever before. Those adults taking care of their own children AND aging parents are called the "Sandwich Generation" and they are taking on more and more responsibilities so they can work, support and care for their families, and deal with parents who are no longer able to care for themselves. It's time to give them a break and accept help, accept solutions you might not have wanted to accept, and face the hard truth that accepting help from others is not a bad thing and doesn't mean you've failed in your life. It just means you're accepting help for something you can't do anymore, and it's giving your kids a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment