Saturday, December 29, 2012

A Big Help.

I'd like to take a minute to talk about a website that I find incredibly information-packed and helpful when I'm helping a new or stressed out caregiver who needs support and resources.

The Family Caregiver Alliance, found at the following link,
http://www.caregiver.org/caregiver/jsp/home.jsp
is a national organization founded in 1977 to support families providing long-term care at home.  A small group of families and community leaders in San Francisco came together to see if they could create support services for caregivers struggling to provide long-term care for someone who didn't fit into traditional health systems.  Their goal was to address common challenges such as isolation, lack of information and resources, depression and burn out.  Although begun in Californis, the FCA now has programs and information for the entire nation.

One of the special things about their site is that they have a state-specific page that lists not only what resources are available on the city, county, and state level, but also what is available in that state on a national level.  Since caregivers are everywhere, in every state, now, I have found it to be so helpful to either refer them to this site, or to copy and paste entire state pages on emails I send to them.  I have found this to be one of the single most helpful and reassuring information locus for the people I talk to.

I just wanted to give this site a shout-out, and I also wanted to make my readers aware of it, in case they didn't already know.  If you don't happen to need information or support, you may know someone who does, so give them this site; it could be the best help you could give them.


 Don't forget to vote!  I'm on page 1 if you search alphabetically.
http://www.healthline.com/health/best-health-blogs-contest




No comments:

Post a Comment