Friday, January 6, 2012

Christmas.

I've been meaning to post, plus I'm doing a little updating of my site, but then I got the sickness! That stuff takes you out...

Paul and I had a lovely Christmas Eve and Christmas together-we hung out all day in our sweats and ate and watched tv and read. It was great. It was nice to take the weekend for ourselves and just rest up and relax. On Monday, we packed up some clothes I had bought for Dad and a toy for the little girl who belongs to the live-in caregivers. She's two or so and just adorable. Apparently, Dad really responds to her.

When we got into Dad's room, he was snoozing in his chair, and he didn't wake up, even though we were being a little loud. I figured he must really be sleeping so I let him be, and we watched as the little girl opened her gift right at his feet. After a bit, Dad's eyes opened and he looked at me. People still ask me, all the time, whether I think he recognizes me, and I just cannot tell. Sometimes it seems like his eyes sharpen up a little, but I really don't know. I say that it doesn't really bother me, but sometimes it does, just a little.

Anyway, I said hello and said he was looking good and he even responded a little. I think he still has a store of phrases that he uses to answer something that sounds like a question. He really responded to Paul and I've seen that before. There's something about Paul's face or demeanor or voice that really catches Dad's attention, in a good way. And Paul's so great, he'll talk to anyone, about anything; usually he talks to Dad about our vintage Corvair.

So there we were, me, Paul, Dad, and a toddler, busy with My Little Pony, all enjoying a little time together after Christmas. It felt like Christmases of old, with wrapping paper and bits of toy scattered around the carpet. It felt good to be there with Dad- I have no idea how this year is going to pan out, or whether he'll get even more frail and unresponsive. This could be the last Christmas, and I'm glad we all got a little time together.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny. My mom cannot carry on a conversation anymore, but she has some stock answers that usually work. And at this point in her dementia she doesn't recognize me and almost always knows my husband. Our Christmas was just about the same.

    ReplyDelete