Thursday, July 10, 2014

I've never heard of this site but this is a very interesting article on a new test for Alzheimer's. For so long the only way to decide whether someone had Alzheimer's, or other types of dementia, was more guesswork than anything else.

People ask me whether it's really worth it to get an accurate diagnosis, arguing that, in the end, dementia is dementia. In some cases, I agree with them, however, getting a correct diagnosis (or as correct as possible) can help avoid medication problems, since some meds are harmful for certain types of dementia; can help people get services and support aimed at that specific disease; and can help families plan ahead for housing and care.

I know that there are other tests like CatScans and MRI's that help determine a diagnosis, but the only way to know for sure is through an autopsy. It is heartening any time we see some sort of advance in medical science related to dementia - usually Alzheimer's. I know I usually focus on LBD and not Alzheimer's, so I'm hoping that they might tweak this test to help diagnose that, but any win against dementia is a win for all of us.


http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/researchers-make-significant-progress-development-alzheimers-blood-test

No comments:

Post a Comment