Sunday, April 14, 2013

Support Group!

 Our second group is tomorrow in Seattle from 10am to 12pm, location and directions on the sidebar.  I look forward to seeing anyone who needs a little extra help and support!


 The Caregiver's Bill of Rights.

I have the right:
  • To take care of myself. Caregiving is not an act of selfishness. It will give me the capability of taking better care of my loved one.
  • To seek help from others even though my loved ones may object. Only I can recognize the limits of my endurance and strength.
  • To maintain facets of my life that do not include the person I care for, just as I would if he or she were healthy. I know that I do everything that I reasonably can for this person, and I have the right to do some things just for myself.
  • To get angry, be depressed, and express other difficult feelings occasionally.
  • To reject any attempts by my loved one (either conscious or unconscious) to manipulate me through guilt, and/or depression.
  • To receive consideration, affection, forgiveness, and acceptance for what I do, from my loved ones, for as long as I offer these qualities in return.
  • To take pride in what I am accomplishing and to applaud the courage it has sometimes taken to meet the needs of my loved one.
  • To protect my individuality and my right to make a life for myself that will sustain me in the time when my loved one no longer needs my full-time help.
  • To expect and demand that as new strides are made in finding resources to aid physically- and mentally-impaired persons in our country, similar strides will be made towards aiding and supporting caregivers.
 This version was taken from www.caregivers.utah.gov, where it is attributed to Jo Horne.

No comments:

Post a Comment