Saturday, August 7, 2010

Walker II

After the doctor sat Dad down, she turned to me and Dad's caregiver to discuss what she thought. She said that she didn't think the problem was because of dizziness or any inner ear problem. She said it was possible it had something to do with the medication that he was on but she also thought it was structural, that due to the Parkinsons, Dad was losing nerve feeling in his feet; he might not be able to tell where his feet or body was. His body was literally losing the ability to remember how to walk. The minute she said that, I knew what was coming. I knew she was going to suggest a walker, the penultimate insult to Dad's independence and ability to move-the only thing still making him happy. My heart fell. I knew this was not going to be an easy problem to fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment