Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Personal post

I have a friend who I like a great deal, although I don't know as much about her as I'd like to. Her mother is in the same state as my Dad, and, soft-hearted woman that she is, she agonizes about it every day. When her mother first started showing signs of the disease, she did the extraordinarily generous thing and took her mother into her own home, caring for her and paying her medical bills, with help only from her husband. The time came when the situation was no longer working, and she was forced to move her mother to another state where she had family, and place her into a facility. She feels guilty every day for doing this; feeling that she has failed her mother, even though she has gone above and beyond what most people are willing to do. I want care-givers to rise up against this guilt! They and their loved one were placed in a no-win situation, and there should be no fault or shame. I want them to see that whatever they have been able to do is the absolute best they could do at that time. And that they, and especially my friend, are heroes every hour of their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment